Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Buddhist Triptych


 This was done around April 2012.  It was for my type as art class and for this assignment it had to be a triptych and include whatever type you want in there.

I was also taking non western art history at the time and I just learned about the original Buddhism, founded by Siddartha.

I personally hate how religion needs to be split up into billions of different sects when it's all the same thing.  Just be a good person, learn to love yourself and others, etc.  Also, I'm Christian but I believe in some Buddhist "philosophies" (I guess that comes from my Japanese background).  
I wanted to fuse these concepts together so I used Buddhist icons of the mudras (which is the hand gestures in each section) on a Christian gold triptych.  I decided to watercolor the pieces to make it look like traditional Indian art.  It also folds up like a book because these watercolor styles were known to be in books.  

 The teaching gesture
"Fear Not" Gesture.  The sanskrit on the hand says Siddhartha Gautama.

Gesture of Charity


How the 'book' looks closed.

No comments:

Post a Comment